24 July 2010

Ironing Board?...We Don't Need No Stinking Ironing Board!

Yes people, I don't have an ironing board.  And I refuse to get one.  So far, the least expensive ironing board I've come across costs 98.00 CHF= US$93.00!!!  I just can't do it!  The idea of parting with nearly 100 bucks to pay for a BOARD! terrifies me.

According to The Economist's 2009 Worldwide Cost of Living Survey, two of the World's top 10 most expensive cities are in Switzerland.  In other words, it costs a grip to live in the land of cheese and chocolate.

I must admit, after spending 30+ years in the US paying reasonable prices for items, I struggle with having to reach in my wallet to pull out an arm and a leg to pay for the basic things.  I mean, I come from a retail culture of Macy's One Day Sales (60% off + coupon + Macy's credit card = A STEAL!), Target and Walmart, Black Friday, After Christmas Day Sales...all of which equals spoiled American. 

Let's face it, if the daily ATM limit is 5000 CHF; that means you live in an expensive country.  Whenever the highest bank note is 1000 CHF and wherever you go the retailer can make change; you live in an expensive country.  When a 10% mark down causes a mad rush; you live in an expensive country.  I mean, I still have to get use to paying extra for ketchup at Mickey Ds.

No, I'm not being cheap; it's just a big pill to swallow... 98.00 CHF!  Yes, it may take longer to iron on the table with a sheet and my clothes may still have a wrinkle or two, but at least I still have 100 bucks in my pocket.

8 comments:

Viajera said...

I don't think that's cheap a'tall. $93??!! And right now I have to get rid of a lovely ironing board :)

Is there a Swiss Craigslist or Freecycle? May be able to score a board that way.

$93, eh? Still shocked.

KiKi said...

Viajera
To be honest, I havent done any comparison shopping. Switzerland doesnt have vast retail options like the US and certain items are sold in certain stores, that's it!. But no, I havent checked Ricardo (Swiss online version of ebay). I may just do that!

La said...

Aunt Gina checked out your site. She loves it.

The Backpacker said...

Doesn't surprise me at all. I remember when I went on a family holiday, the four of us had a meal at a restaurant and the bill came to about £100 or CHF 160. The food was nice but nothing special and the place wasn't fancy! My dad took us on the trip so I wasn't bothered about finances but I remember even that shocked me!

B.

Oneika said...

Erm say what!?!??! Don't they have IKEA?

KiKi said...

Lol...Right! I need to check IKEA.

Sandra77 said...

Hello, KiKi. My name is Sandra and I just today found your blog (from American Black Chick in Europe's blogroll). Wonderful blog, BTW. I'm really glad to know that you're in Switzerland. I have yet to visit Switzerland, but it's on my list (particularly Zurich, Geneva and Lausanne). Der Schweiz (I studied German and French and still speak both pretty well) sounds like a great place to live, even with the increasing crime. Anyway, I'll be following your blog from now on. Thanks.

KiKi said...

@Sandra
Thank you for following.
I still hvnt been to Geneva. I plan on doing a day trip in a few weeks. It's a 2- hr train ride from my home. If there is anything you would like to know about Switzerland, just ask. Maybe I can be of help. Take care.