03 August 2010

Does Crime Exist In Switzerland? Ja.

Does crime exist in Switzerland?  Yes, of course it does. 
If you recall my post, Doing Time...SwissStyle http://kiki-in-switzerland.blogspot.com/2010/07/doing-timeswiss-style.html, the photos of the Swiss prisons sum it all up.  Yes, crime exists, but it's almost nonexist in Die Schweiz.  Switzerland has one of the lowest crime rates in the world.  And coming from me, a person who lived on the Southside of Chicago, I'm relishing in this fact.  My apologies to those who may think that I'm knocking Chicago, but truth be told...you know damn well that Chicago, with all its beauty, is a mess!  Eighteen shootings in a 24 hour period, 40 shootings in one weekend (June 2010).  Enough with that!  I digress...

Back to Switzerland and my relishing...

Since moving here, some of my security habits have changed:  Although, I live on the 3rd floor, I don't have a problem with leaving the balconey door open when I hop to the store; I will walk a few blocks (Switzerland doesn't actually have blocks, but you get the gist) with money in my hand; I will keep my car running when I run into the post office.  Come on!   Really! 

Just look at the photo I took when I moved to Switzerland this past winter.  I was so amazed that items were left outside of the grocery store after closing hours that I took a picture and emailed it to my family explaining the craziness that is Switzerland (or maybe it's me who's crazy).  And these are not measly items, as you can see.
No thievery here

Now, what's really going on in Switzerland; many are not happy because crime is on the rise.  And truth be told, study after study shows that the foreigners are to blame.  According to the Swiss Police Crime Statics:

51% of Injury (I'm assuming this means assault) are perpetraded by foreigners
59% Intentional Homicide
54% Purse Snatching
56% Restraint / Kidnapping
62% Rape
59% Trade in Drugs

This angers me on so many levels.  ONE, b/c I believe that if people are productive and make a contribution to a nation then they should be welcomed.  But one rotten apple spoils a bunch and that's how it goes.  We live in a world of how things are, not how they should be, and unfortunately the unlawful actions of a few makes it harder for the rest.  TWO, Switzerland is known for having a large practice for accepting asylum seekers.  In other words, they want to help those who have to flee their home country.  If foreigners, many asylum seekers, continue to do unlawful activities, the desire to help others will change.  And actually, it already is.  Oh and THREE, this is very selfish, but I'm a foreigner and I don't want to have a negative label hanging over me.  A few people have told me that being an American is "different".  But most Swiss don't know I'm American until I open my mouth.

So what does this mean...??  First, the Swiss don't play games.  They are forcing deportation, starting with Nigerians.

If asylum seekers refuse to leave, they will be restrained and
forcefully placed on an airplance as demonstrated above.  Photo (swissinfo.ch)
Why the Nigerians?  "They are coming here to seek asylum, but to do illegal business," according to Alard du Bois-Reymond, new director of the Swiss Federal Migration Office.  "Many of them drift into petty crime and deal drugs.  It's a sad fact."  Therefore, according to the Swiss, they have to go.  In 2009, only one Nigerian asylum seeker was granted asylum, six were granted temporary stays, and 1800 were rejected.  Now, I can count on one hand the number of Nigerians I know, have known, have met, in other words not many, but I'm sure that out of 1800+, a lot more than seven are trustworthy... a looottttt more.  But this is where the rotten apples comes into play.  It's sad, it's disgusting.  Are Nigerians being fingered? Yes, definitely...thanks rotten apple.             

This is what I have to say, my own little observations.  Those from other African nations are not seen as "trouble."  Also those from war torn Sri Lanka (FYI, in Switzerland, they are also considered black, like Africans, like me) are accepted, no problem.  Also, people from the Balkans are seen as high participates of criminal activity.  Another personal observation which I think hurts the Nigerians is that they hang out at the stores, train stations in packs making noise; doing what may be normal to them in Nigeria. And this may not seem as a big deal to us Americans, but the reserved Swiss don't make noise and don't hang "on corners."  Seriously.

I wrote this post because the Swiss are going to have another referendum in November which will call for all foreigners who have been convicted of a serious crime to be sent back to their home country IMMEDIATELY.  (A little side note, Switzerland is a direct democracy.  Therefore, citizens can override any parliamentary decision with a vote.  Imagine if the US had this system back during slavery or the Civil Rights Movement.  I would probably be picking cotton right now instead of writing this post).  Looking by one of the campaign posters, you can figure out what will happen.

volksbefraugung.ch
To be honest, I'm not against sending trouble makers home.  But I have to admit, it bothers me to the core to know that those who are here doing the right thing will be negatively labeled or prevented from coming here due to the behavior of a some and prejudices of others.  Who's fault is that? 

Source:
swissinfo.ch
volksbefragung.ch

9 comments:

Viajera said...

I agree with many of your points here. The bad apples are everywhere, making it difficult for law abiding, decent people. It is a constant source of frustration.

As to the "whose fault is that" question, it definitely rests with the "black" sheep (okay, no matter how many times I see that poster, I just find it DAMN racist), but isn't the negative opinions about non-white Swiss denizens (I use that word and not "immigrant", because my understanding of the Swiss situation is that even the offspring of immigrants, born and raised in the country are feeling the brunt of this) also fueled by a...smidgen of xenophobia, racism, and Islamophobia in the country?

Based on what I've read, the problem rests with the deplorable actions of the bad apples, AS WELL as with the deplorable thoughts/actions of some elements in Swiss society, including the fear-mongering anti-immigrant party.

KiKi said...

Viajera, you will be living in Holland soon and I hear the anti-immigrant backlash is in full swing there.
But I do agree with you, the "rotten apples" will be used by the fear-mongerers, Swiss citizens, and govt as a way to prevent non-Swiss from entering and remaining in this country. And that tugs at me, deeply.
As far as the poster, I'm lost for words...

The Backpacker said...

To be honest, the problem with statistics is that they can hide a deeper meaning. If the Swiss are xenophobic/untrusting of foreigners etc etc then I am guessing these foreigners are discriminated against and can't get decent jobs to earn a decent living. And so they have to turn to crime like drug trading, purse snatching to be able to live in Switzerland.

Not saying it's right...far from it. But there might be a reason why 'foreigners are to blame' in the eyes of the Swiss.

Viajera said...

Yes, I've been following the shenanigans of Geert Wilders & his ilk for a few years now. Interesting time for the Netherlands... It seems to be European-wide trend, these political parties.

Unknown said...

I'm still heading there one day. Crime or no crime (or little crime), Switzerland is on my list.

KiKi said...

@National- Great! You will love Switzerland. A little suggestion, though... U may want to visit more than one city in Switzerland or travel to neighboring countries (Italy, France, Germany, Aaustria). The cities in Switzerland are small; doing the tourist thing in one city for several days can get old fast.
Take care.

Balanced Melting Pot said...

Aside from the small county where I grew up, I don't think I've ever lived in a place like Switzerland in terms of crime. In Caracas, there are all sorts of precautions people take to avoid crime, but overall I don't feel unsafe.

As for the Nigerians being targeted for the source of crime, I think Switzerland should also look at the resources it makes available to these immigrants once they are granted asylum. A lot of countries claim to be immigrant friendly, but will easily expect the trained doctor to wait tables (e.g. Canada). I'm not saying that's the issue here, I just think there's something more to why Nigerians are getting caught up in crime there.

KiKi said...

@BMP
As far as social benefits (place to live, food, public transportation, etc) I believe Switzerland does a great job asst asylum seekers. That is another issue b/c 40+% funds spent on social benefits are extended to foreigners and many Swiss are upset with that. But as far as "upper level" positions/ jobs I'm not sure where the Swiss stand. But in the Nigerians case they are declining 99% of entry and hv started forced deportation. This is pretty much the case for Nigerians and ppl from the Balkans (according to my research). Other asylum seekers, incl from Afr countries dont have this problem.
That's my issue, the govt is stating that b/c too many Nigerians (500 convictions, not sure of time period) have been convicted for drugs that they are not willing to extend entry to many Nigerians. That's why I was questioning the rotten apple peice.

Aritul said...

"Who's fault is that?"

The bad apples'. I can't fault the Swiss for taking such measures to prevent crime. Perhaps after many years of presubstantial immigration crime rate, the remaining good apples will have convinced the Swiss that there are indeed good people among their former countrymen, and the Swiss will open their doors to them again, but until that happens...