17 August 2010

Not 'Round Here

By reading my earlier posts, it's easy to conclude that I love Die Schweiz.  Switzerland is a loooovvvvely country...clean, picturesque, safe, small, diverse.  It offers the best transit system in the world. I can go on and on about how much I appreciate this country.  However, there are a few things from America that I miss like crazy. 

I miss...REAL JUNKFOOD with orange cheese - Cheez Its! and Cheez Doodles.  Now I eat fruits, breads and oats for snacks.  Really!  Who wants to flop on the cozy couch to watch a movie while eating this?

Bircher Muesli (Google photo), uncooked oats, fruits, and nuts. 
Add yogurt if you want to live dangerously.

A SUGAR-FILLED BREAKFAST - McDonald's in the morning - hotcakes!  Now I eat a croissant, yogurt and coffee or cappuccino.  A real American breakfast every now and then will hit the spot.

I also miss whiting fish sandwiches, cheesecake (Sara Lee will do), an Americanized taco (I say Americanized b/c in Mexico you will never find a taco with cheddar cheese and sour cream unless they are catering to tourists), an Americanized baked potato (the Swiss actually eat plain potatoes, give me the Americanized one any day), Nephew Tommy's Prank Calls (the In The Closet call was hi la ri ous!), black and Dominican hair salons,  Target, people covering their mouths when they cough, BBC Eastenders and A&E Intervention.  There are plenty of websites that offer these shows, but the networks work like dogs to make sure they are taken down.  If anyone knows where I can view these shows online, pls drop me a line via email.  In the meantime, I watch Absolutely Fabulous and Footballers' Wives over and over again.  I love Adina and Patsy.  The British seem to have the best shows.  I recall reading an article in which Will Smith was campaigning for BBC America to broadcast Eastenders in America.  It's nice.

Oh and most of all I miss my mom and lil sis (my twin).  Ciao.

4 comments:

Viajera said...

Food, food, food...and TV. LOL! I think someone needs to send you a care pkg. ;)

KiKi said...

@Viajera
LOL!
I do get plenty of care packages...mostly hair care products and make up. There's not a variety of make up to match my skin tone here. I haven't been to the African shops here, but from my experience in other parts of Europe, the African shops dont carry a range of products. Or at least the products I prefer to use. Do u have the same "problem" in Holland?

Sandra77 said...

Kiki, my sisters and I lived in Canada growing up, and we got hooked on East Enders, Coronation Street, and all the British comedies then. British comedies are a riot! And I love British dramas too - but I have to depend on PBS to show most of these. BBC America used to show a good sampling of the British shows, but not so much anymore. I must say I really miss those shows now that I live in the US.
I also sent you a private email - I look forward to hearing from you. Take care, and keep blogging. You're the only BW blogger I know of in Switzerland.

KiKi said...

@Sandra
Nothing beats Absolutely Fabulous, British Comedy. Another BW blogger in Swiss is http://www.thenewmediadiva.com/