06 August 2010

How We Spent Our Weekend

Last weekend my husband and I decided to hop the FABULOUS Swiss train and head to Murten.  Murten is a quaint village located on Lake Morat (Lake Murten).  As I explained before (I think), Switzerland, although small, is a country with four different languages (French, Italian, German, and Romansh) and many different regions.  And each region, state or town has its own identity and language (Fr, Ge, It, or Ro) with its own distinct dialect.  This means that several locations will have multiply spellings and pronunciations.  I'm still trying to get the hang of it!  It's like moving to Atlanta and having to figure out that there are more than one Peachtree Stsss... Peachtree St, Peachtree Rd, Peachtree Cir, Peachtree Court, Peachtree Center Ave, W. Peachtree St...
By taking the FABULOUS Swiss train, it's easy to see when we enter different regions.  You see, Murten is actually planted where the German and French parts meet.  So Murten has a German and French feel.  You can see, touch, taste, feel, and hear all that is German and French rolled into one.


Like many Swiss towns or villages, it has a fortified wall.  Built centuries ago to keep the outsiders out...for protection.  The charm of Murten includes beautiful water fountains (they seem to be everywhere in Switzerland), quaint village shops, and well-maintained centuries-old homes with doors so small only a hobbit can comfortably fit through.  This demonstrates how small people were centuries ago.


Hope you enjoy the pics!   





The following day was Swiss National Day.  My husband and I spent a peaceful afternoon at my in laws.  That evening, we celebrated the day be partaking in the town festivities which included free sausages provided by the village government.  Oh, and I can't forget the complimentary wine and beer provided by the village, as well.  Yes, tax dollars were spent on beer and wine.  I don't know why I was surprised.  I mean after all, in Die Schweiz, wine is served at school parties when parents are invited.  Last year I observed a school in Denmark that had a teacher's desk with a bottle of wine on it.  This is all sooo very Europe.


My in-law's village
Watch your step!  Slugs are common after a heavy down pour.
Tschus!  Ciao!

7 comments:

Balanced Melting Pot said...

Looks nice! And it looks like the weather was beautiful.

Anonymous said...

Wow, love the cottage. Yes, people do seem to be smaller in Europe. But, I enjoyed feeling like a giant.

Oneika said...

pics are fab!

KiKi said...

@BMP, Yes, beautiful weather which is not too often. Unfortunately, Im not fond of the weather in Swiss. Too much rain.

@V, Im tall and skinny...I fit in just fine.

@N, thanks

Unknown said...

very nice pics. I have to add Switz to my list.

Anonymous said...

The pictures are breath taking everyone is more gorgeous than the next please keep posting them and thanks for sharing.

In the bible it talks about the new heavens and the new earth, and in my mind it would be a place like this.

2Peter 3:11

Are the people mostly Catholics ?

KiKi said...

@Anonymous, Im not sure if most Swiss are Catholic. In Switzerland, the cantons (states) have a Protestant or Catholic majority. For example, the canton I live in has a Catholic majority.