16 March 2011

Skin Color and The Maldives

Before moving to Switzerland, I was told that some Swiss may assume that I am from an African nation.  I have experienced this in China; a few Chinese were shocked when I spoke American English.  But with a sizable African population in Switzerland, especially in the French part, this is understandable.  Since moving here a few people have initiated conversations in French (although, we are in the German part).  Most of these people were of African descent (like me!).  I guess some people believe white skin equals American skin.  And brown skin equals African skin. 

This is where my ignorance comes in.  Before visiting The Maldives I did very little research about the people, The Maldivians.  But according to the brochures they appeared similar to Indonesians.  Same skin complexion and facial structures.  It was of great surprise to my husband and myself that the people are of similar complexions to Sri Lankans; dark brown or dark reddish tones.

Of course, my first thought was "TYPICAL".  Even on the other side of the world skin color plays its part.  Most brochures, even the ones featuring our island displayed lighter-skinned people.  These same brochures also mentioned visitors' surprise about how beautiful The Maldivians are...and they are!  A nation full of attractive people.  But back to my point.  Why does it take a lighter skinned person to sale a destination?  Are the "regulars" not good enough?

I never got into the light-skinned, dark-skinned debate so I'm not going to now.  But what the hell.

It wasn't to long ago that my sister-in-law mentioned the same thing after traveling to Nepal.  She was surprised about the dark complexions of many Nepalese.  You never see that in the magazines nor the brochures.  I wonder why?

My ignorance again...I guess like the American and the European nations there are many countries with multiple complexions of people.  But for some reason I rarely see the darker-skinned ones...

That's me.  I got quite dark.  My skin looked flawless!

Two Maldivians. Including the diving boat captain.

Maldivian workers on the island.

3 comments:

Longuette said...

what an adventure from US to Swiss!!!
congratulations!

♥ Ylenia
from longuette

KiKi said...

Thanks Ylenia. It's not always an adventure. Especially when real life kicks in (work, bills, etc.). But I am enjoying it.

Viajera said...

Maldives looks GORGEOUS. My kind of place. I need to go there. ;)

As to the color thing, same issue in NL and I mean to write about it. It's dumb, but I'm gettin gused to these differences, though frustrating.