23 January 2011

The Fabulous Swiss Train...and your first born

I love the rail and bus system in Switzerland.  Somehow, the powers that be were able to produce a rail and bus system with an efficient schedule that allows travelers to visit every nook and cranny in the land of cheese and chocolate without waiting more than a few minutes between connections.  This includes buses, train, trams, funiculars, and some cable cars.


Over the years, I have read countless articles about Americans wanting and NEEDING a massive, high-speed rail system.  Obama wants major changes to the public transport systems, but he will not get it.  Ummm.  He has also spoken of using the European transit system as an example.  But unfortunately, the US doesn't believe in investing in its infrastructure on the same scale as most European countries.  This is something an American tourist will spot the moment they land in most European countries.  Things here are different, updated, and modern!

But of course this is Switzerland which means it will cost you your first born.  Compared to Chicago, a
  • CTA (Chicago Transit Authority) day pass is $5.75.  A Swiss 1 day travel pass is 68.00 CHF ($71) for 2nd class.
  • CTA monthly pass is $86.  A Swiss monthly pass is 578 CHF ($603) for 2nd class.
Granted, the Swiss rail pass I am referring to allows you to travel throughout Switzerland.  For a monthly regional pass from point A to point B only, be prepared to cough up 350 CHF ($364).

But I love it and use it everyday.  Did I mention that we get a major discount through my husband's job.  FYI, the words major and discount are never used in the same sentence in Switzerland.  So instead of paying the annual fare of 4850 CHF ($5057) for a first class pass, we pay about 20% of that.  I love it!



Funiculars are rail lifts that used on steep hills. This is in the capital city of Bern.
photo courtesy of flickr
Cable car in Lugano, Switzerland
photo courtesy of europeforvisitors.com

7 comments:

Mimi said...

But Kiki, I live in Zurich and my monthly card (abonnement) to travel around the entire city to and from work is only about 79 franks, which is about 80 US dollars. That's how much I paid when I lived in the US. Are you not comparing travel ALL OVER switzerland with travel just within the Chicago metro area? Just a thought.

KiKi said...

Yes, I indicated that I was comparing Chicago to the ALL OVER Switzerland or the point to point card. I didnt know there was just a city card. But my description gives my post the WOW FACTOR. LOL!!

Swirl Around the World said...

Wow! Very shocking facts. Now, I know why the Swiss are so fit.

La said...

@Mimi-$80 is not bad. I live in NYC. They just increased it to $120....urgh!
@Kiki-Love your posts!

coco said...

Sounds like a cool way to get around

Faith said...

Considering Washington DC public transit is crappy, breaks down and doesn't run 24/7 AND costs me $260 per month AND it can cost even more the further out you live that's not so bad by comparison. Not exactly cheap but certainly economical in the long run. Someone posted the link to your blog on Facebook. Loving it and adding you to my blogroll. Some of us are trying to spotlight life abroad for BW, esp American-born BW.

http://actsoffaithblog.com

kiki said...

@Faith. Thanks for taking the time to read my blog. Im glad that you enjoy it.