26 November 2011

What Smokey Said ??!!


Newsflash...I am no longer a part of the working force.  I have been fired.  Why?  Denn ich bin schwanger -Because I am pregnant. The separation letter states it loud and clear - Reason for Termination : Pregnancy.

You see, in Switzerland, many contractual requirements include a three months probationary period, in which, you can be terminated for any reason.  Well since this was a new job and I only worked for a few weeks before being placed on sick leave - it was bound to happen. So about five weeks into my sick leave I got the call, "Sorry, but we have to let you go!"

But I'm cool.  In Switzerland, it's pretty typical for women not to work during the pregnancy and for quite some time after the birth. 

BABY COUNTDOWN: 2 month 27 days 

Caio.

7 comments:

foosrock! said...

I was a little shocked before I read further, as I was thinking, no way in Switzerland, there are rules and laws about firing, but I see it was during your probational period. I guess you had to tell them you were pregnant?. When I was in that situation, I hid mine for as long as I could (managed two months of my probational time) before I too was placed on sick leave because of fainting spells. Besides I was working for Hertz(car rental) then.
Let's see: you might have a hard time collecting unemployment, if you're looking to do that though...
I stayed home for 9mths and then sought out a parttime job. It was sooo hard to leave my baby, but luckily he took to the daycare in my Dorf rather well, so no tears from his side.
Enjoy your pregnancy at home. It's what Swiss women do and we should ape a good traditional thing!.

KiKi said...

@foosrock!That was initially my plan, to fake it until I made it, but unfortunately my doc placed me on sick leave.

Viajera said...

First of all, congrats! I'm sure that this lovely event will make the bitter pill easier to swallow.

In Canada, I know some coworkers who totally faked it, lol. But do what's best for you. When the time is right, another job will come. :)

KiKi said...

Thanks Viajera

Balanced Melting Pot said...

Hmmm, I'm sorry but the American in me is screaming "hell to tha naw!". I know that it's customary in the US to have the 3 month probationary period, but people can't be let go ever - legally - for medical reasons. Trust me, I've had to deal with some people who know how to work the system and happened to be sick for an extended period after being reprimanded for performance. Anyhoo, if you're okay with it than so goes it. Hope everything is going well ;-)

DanielleZIntern said...

Congrats! Enjoy your little vacation :)

KimP said...

I don't know whether to say sorry or not that this happened, lol. Any who, congrats on your pregnancy, and I'm so glad to see a new post from you! I love your blog, it's inspirational for this American chica!