03 December 2010

My Busy Life

I have been quite busy, as usual.  I work five days a week and my commute is a killer.  I mentioned this in a previous post.  I'm serious; it's draining.  But thank God, starting next year I will be working less hours per week per my request.  Woohoo!  What a great New Year's gift to me.

So now I am catching up on a few posts...so here I am...Kiki in Switzerland.

Hockey
It took 30+ years, but I have finally attended a hockey game.  Take in a few drinks and a hockey game can be quite exciting.  And the Swiss are crazy!  They were loud, drunk, and not so friendly to the visiting spectators.  Middle fingers were flying everywhere.  Accompanied by bad language.
We attended the game with my husband's old friend and her mate.  Check out the photos below.

That's me. 

Hubby's old friend.




Räbechilbi - The Turnip Festival
Räbechilbi is an event where children and adults sing songs and walk the darkened streets of Zurich holding beautifully decorated lantern turnips.  A few Swiss equate it to Halloween.  I didn't see any similarities between Räbechilbi and Halloween.  But the kids did enjoy it.  Maybe that's the similarity.


Funeral
I attended my first Swiss funeral.  It was a beautiful, yet, casual affair.  The deceased didn't want a fuss. 

First, the burial took place.  Then the church service.  Followed by dinner at a local restaurant. 

I met the deceased a few times.  She was a lovely woman; 90+ years old.  She had several children, many grandchildren; and a few great grandkids.  She lived a plentiful live.  What more can you ask for.

Christmas Market
Oh, I love Christmas in Switzerland.

First, it's truly about celebrating the birth of Christ.  In schools, songs are sang and windows are decorated paying homage to Christ's birth.  I love it!

Next, the Christmas Markets are so incredibly alluring.  I think European Christmas Markets are known around the world for their beauty.  I plan on attending several markets this month and will take many photos for your viewing pleasures.

Finally,  Christmas in Switzerland is far from commercial.  Simple, low key gifts are truly appreciated.  Afterall, Christmas is not about breaking the bank to please others.  It's about spending time with loved ones and celebrating the birth of Christ (for believers, that is).

With that being said, I am so upset that I missed Black Friday.  I hope many of you got some great deals.  Haha.
Christmas Market - Zurich Haupbahnhof (Main Station)







Ciao.



2 comments:

Balanced Melting Pot said...

I wish we saw a good pic of your face :-) Hockey has been placed in the same "drawer" as rugby and cricket for me...not very interesting. But, I can imagine being in a stadium with thousands of people who do enjoy the sport would be exciting.

KiKi said...

@BMP
Lol, I have shown my face. Although not completely lol.